Today we had the opportunity to speak with X-Ray specialist Harvey Moseley here are some facts from his lectures he enlightened us with.
• 5 years is average life of a telescope.
• That is not a lot of time so scientists need to find new ways to get data faster and make satellite as efficient as possible.
• One of those ways was using a micro shutter.
• Moseley quotes, “the best inventions are the ones that recover the best from those inevitable failures.”
• Took a lot of practice and I provision to perfect observing with a 12 inch telescope on an aircraft.
• It may even be a better alternative to use a hit air balloon because you can get up to 100,000 feet as opposed to 30,000 feet with an aircraft.
• KOA was a predecessor of SOFIA Which is a different aircraft with a telescope except that KOA’s telescope was .9 meters while SOFIA’s was 2.5 meters